Immature Teratoma and Mature Cystic Teratoma

Nova Fenita Sari(1*), RZ Nizar(2)

(1) Anatomical Pathology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Andalas University, Dr. M. Djamil Central General Hospital Padang
(2) Anatomical Pathology Department, Faculty of Medicine, Andalas University, Dr. M. Djamil Central General Hospital Padang
(*) Corresponding Author



Introduction : Germ cell tumors arise from primordial germ cells and account for about 30% of all ovarian tumors. More than 95% of this group are benign dermoid cysts (mature cystic teratoma) and the remaining 5% are malignant. Ovarian teratomas represent 15% to 20% of ovarian germ cell tumors. Teratomas are classified as mature or immature and often consist of several embryological layers. While the mature type is benign, the immature type is more aggressive.

Objective : Based on the above, this article will review about immature teratoma and mature cystic teratoma of the ovary.

Material and methods : The method of writing this scientific paper is a literature review. The data used are sourced from relevant literature and in accordance with the topics discussed.

Result : Teratomas are a common form of germ cell tumors. Teratomas are histologically defined as tumors containing tissue derived from all germ cell layers: ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm. Teratomas are classified as immature teratoma, mature teratoma and monodermal teratoma.

Conclusion : Teratomas are usually asymptomatic and if there are symptoms, they tend to be non-specific. In patients with no residual tumor after surgery, the survival rate is 90-100%.

Keywords: Teratoma, Immature Teratoma, Mature Cystic Teratoma

Full Text:



Eroschenko VP. Di Fiores Atlas of Histology with Functional Correlations. 11th Ed. 2008:455-62.

Blaustein A, Kurman RJ, editors. Blaustein’s pathology of the female genital tract. 6th ed. New York, NY: Springer; 2011:1246 p.

Mutter GL, Prat J, editors. Pathology of the female reproductive tract. 3., rev. ed. London: Churchill Livingstone; 2014:873 p.

Ghalleb M, Bouzaiene H, Slim S, Hadiji A, Hechiche M, Ben Hassouna J, et al. Fertility-sparing surgery in advanced stage malignant ovarian germ cell tumor: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2017 Dec;11(1):350.

Wilkinson N. Pathology of the ovary, fallopian tube and peritoneum. New York: Springer; 2014:292-97.

Long Y, Jing W, Guoping D. Management of giant ovaryan teratoma : a case series and review literature. Oncology Letters 4. 2012: 672-676.

Kurman RJ, Carcangiu ML, Herrington CS, Young RH. WHO Classification of Tumours of Female Reproductive Organs. 5th ed. 2020:119-21.

Kurman RJ, Ellenson RH, Ronnette BM. Blaustein’s pathology of the female genital tract. 6th ed. 2011:869-91.

Nucci MR, Olivia E. Gynecologic Pathology (Foundations in Diagnostic Pathology Series. Elsevier. 2009:520-35.

Goyal LD, Kaur S, Kawatra K. Malignant mixed germ cell tumour of ovary- an unusual combination and review of literature. 2014;4.

Alwazzan AB, Popowich S, Dean E, Robinson C, Lotocki R, Altman AD. Pure Immature Teratoma of the Ovary in Adults: Thirty-Year Experience of a Single Tertiary Care Center. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2015 Nov;25(9):1616–22.

Douay-Hauser N, Koskas M, Walker F, Luton D, Yazbeck C. Diagnosis and management of an immature teratoma during ovarian stimulation: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2011 Dec;5(1):540.

Aloudek CJ. Pathology of Germ Cell Tumors. In: Soslow RA, Tornos C, editors. Diagnostic Pathology of Ovarian Tumors [Internet]. New York, NY: Springer New York; 2011 [cited 2019 Jul 11]. p. 155–91. Available from:

Yoshikata R, Yamamoto T, Kobayashi M, Ota H. Immunohistochemical Characteristics of Mature Ovarian Cystic Teratomas in Patients With Postoperative Recurrence: International Journal of Gynecological Pathology. 2006 Jan;25(1):95–100.

Nucci MR, Oliva E, editors. Gynecologic pathology. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; (Foundations in diagnostic pathology). 2009. 710 p.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Address for Correspondence:

Editorial Room Andalas Obstetrics and Gynecology Journal 3rd floor of KSM Obstetrics and Gynecology
RSUP Dr. M. Djamil Padang, Jl. Perintis Kemerdekaan Padang, Sumatara Barat, 25127